Secrets to the Perfect Nasi Goreng Recipe
You can find this dish in every restaurant in Bali. Who doesn’t love the traditional breakfast of Indonesian fried rice, served with all the salty, sweet, spiced flavours of Asia and topped with a sunny-side-up egg.
This recipe borrows the local secrets, make this popular dish from your own kitchen. Your family will love it!
Are you visiting Bali soon to get a taste of the real nasi goreng? Check our Bali Travel Guide for all you need to know before you go, where to stay and what to do!
Nasi Goreng Recipe (Indonesian Fried Rice)
- 5-6 cups cooked & cooled long grain rice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste
- 1 tsp. sambal
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 small chicken breast fillet, chopped (or pork)
- 8-10 prawns, peeled and deveined
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 4 eggs, fried sunny-side-up
- sliced cucumber
- thinly slices red chillies
1. Combine honey, soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce in a bowl & set aside.
2. Heat butter in a wok over high heat. Add brown onion, sambal, garlic, shrimp paste and carrot. Stir-fry for around 1 minute or until aromatic and onion is translucent
3. Add chicken to wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until sealed. Add prawns and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
4. To the wok, add rice, soy mixture, shallots and cabbage. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or until rice is heated through.
5. Spoon nasi goreng onto serving plates, top with fried egg and serve with cucumber, chilli.
Taste the best Nasi Goreng during our street food tour!
Are you planning your next trip to Bali, then make sure to include our amazing Bali street food tour to your itinerary. Our friendly and fun food guide will take you away from the hustle and bustle and take you along some of Bali’s finest hawkers. Can’t get enough of all those delicious flavors, check out all our mystery dining food tours Bali!
Our best Bali tips
If you do plan a trip to the island of the Gods, make sure to read our Bali travel guide full of tips and recommendations. In our accommodation guide, you’ll find a nice selection of our favorite beach hotels Bali. We share everything you need to know about the best Bali street food, things to do in Sanur, things to do in East Bali and some awesome Ubud activities.
Read all our Bali travel tips>>>