Bali Food Safari Recipes – Gado Gado
Gado-gado is an Indonesian cult classic, and for all the right reasons – with some beautiful flavour combinations it’s sweet, spicy and fresh all at once!
There is one way of making gado-gado and all Indonesians have their own special way of making this gorgeous dish. Keep this in mind when following our recipe, and make it to suit your tastes, or swap items out for what’s in the fridge (here at Bali Food Safari we are huge advocates for low waste!).
250g green beans
100 gr cabbage
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 kaffir lime leaves
salt and pepper
1. Steam the vegetables and set aside
2. Fry the chilli, garlic and ginger over a medium heat until fragrant and grind in a pestle and mortar, add in the peanuts and grind until it is a fine paste. Combine with two cups of water then place it back to the pan.
3. Bring the mixture to the boil then add the kaffir lime leaf, sugar, and salt and pepper then simmer until thickened.
4. Once the mixture has thickened, remove it from the heat and leave to cool.
5. To serve, put the vegetables in a bowl along with the other ingredients you would like to add (potatoes, tofu, tempe, egg) then pour a good few spoonfuls of the peanut sauce over the top and mix it together.
This can be served warm or cold but always make sure you always add the peanut sauce just before you serve it, so it does not get soggy. Add some of your favourite toppings such as chilli, peanuts, fried shallots or fresh herbs and enjoy!
Join in on a Seminyak food fest along the best restaurants in town!
Seminyak is one of Bali’s culinary hotspots. Great restaurants are on every corner. With so many high-end restaurants to choose from, where do you go? Let us take you on a mystery dining tour along the best restaurants in Seminyak. You’ll visit 4 venues and are accompanied by a professional food guide. The tour is private, although it does happen that transport is shared. Rather go for a three-course meal, then join this Seminyak food tour.
Looking for a high-end luxury food experience? Our helicopter tour Bali takes you along three remote destinations on the island. At each venue, your taste buds will be positively surprised. The best chefs on the island prepare only the most delicious dishes with perfectly matching wines and/or cocktails.
Check out all our food tours Bali >