Stay Hot! Sambal Recipe
This simple chilli paste is the goes-with-everything condiment every household needs to bring the spice of Indonesia to your meals.
Your sambal recipe can be adapted to your taste, adding or taking away ingredients. This suggestion will keep in the fridge for up to 1 month, and is great on the side of dishes or used for cooking prawns, noodles or anything!
- 25-30 chillies: select a combination of red, green etc
- 6 shallots, whole
- 4-5 garlic gloves
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1-2 tsp. sugar
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a mortal & pestle, grind the chillies, shallots, fish sauce & sugar until it forms a course paste
- Heat the oil in a fry pan at medium heat and add the paste.
- Once the paste darkens, add the kaffir lime leaves. When they wilt, remove the pan from the heat
- Let the sambal cool before transferring to a glass jar
Warning!! Wear gloves when you handle chillies!